A crown or “cap” restores a damaged or missing tooth to its normal shape, size, and function. A crown can protect the tooth or improve the way it looks. A crown may be recommended to:
- Support a tooth that has a large filling when there isn’t enough natural tooth structure remaining
- Attach a bridge to replace missing teeth
- Protect a weak tooth from fracturing
- Restore a fractured tooth
- Cover a badly shaped or discolored tooth
- Cover a dental implant
- A crown can be made from gold, silver amalgam, porcelain or ceramic, or porcelain-fused-to-metal. Depending on the purpose and location of the crown Dr. Cooper will discuss the different options that will be best for you.